Monday, March 24, 2008

Of Cabbages and Kings

"and why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings..."
No I'm not going to expound on all things Lewis Carroll, I just happen to really enjoy that part of the poem.
I do have a question though. Why pigs. Why not some other sort of land ridden creature. You always hear people saying "when pigs fly" or something of that equivilant. Why does no one go around saying "when a lemer grows wings" or "when wombats fly" and what is it that's so wonderful about the flight thing? Yes, flying in itself would be absolutely amazing, but really...what about something like "when jelly fish sprout legs" or something like that?
Yes I'm curious...and a dork. I've accepted this.

Now for a different topic:

I'd like to talk about the weather.
No really, I'm serious.
Stop looking at me like that...

Ahem.
The weather has been absolutely gorgeous the past few days, and then suddenly...BAM cold front! It's like spring was here, and in fact the season is, but you'd never know it by today. I mean, seriously...the flowers are going to get all confused.
Flowers really are gullible. Take my mom's daffodils for instance. They bloom at the first hint of warm weather then are struck down by the cold front that hadn't left but was just lying in wait to see if it could smite any unsuspecting reminders of spring. Cold is vicious sometimes.
Don't get me wrong, I love the cold...but I was just getting used to the sun again...ah well. Maybe the daffodils and I have something in common, except I don't think the cold will smite me.


In closing...I'd like to leave you with some lyrics to one of my new favorite songs.

Shipwreck:

Built a fortress
With a hundred thousand faces
I'll keep it safe
With a hundred thousand more
But these masks are wearing thin
As You draw me in.

I spent my time
On the empty and the fleeting
I spent my life
On much less than I'd dreamed
But I'm reaching out to you
To make me new

'Cause I am just a beggar here at Your door
I am just a shipwreck here on Your shore
I come empty handed
Ready to see
Your life in me changing who I've been
To who I need to be

You tell me my story
As You sift between the pages
I feel redemption
In the space between each turn
Could You take me in Your arms
And tell it just once more
Could You take me in Your arms
And tell it just once more

--Starfield: Beauty in the Broken

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like the lyrics to that song. I'll have to listen to it sometime :) I miss you, dollface. We're gonna kick it this summer though!