Monday, May 5, 2008

Never a book too thick or pot of tea too deep...

Since my last post was predominantly about movies, I thought I'd make the leap and write about one of my other passions...books!
The title of the blog is a paraphrase of a quote by C.S. Lewis when speaking of how he enjoyed reading.

It's amazing how the right story will transport you deeper into your imagination than you ever thought you could venture. The written word opens up new dimensions of our character and reveals to us more about ourselves and our situations than would be possible otherwise.

Most people who know me will testify that I am a complete bookworm! My taste in books is as eclectic as my taste in music or movies, but one genre that I return to most often is that of fantasy. I absolutely love diving into a story that takes you out of the realm of human possibility and into a sphere beyond limitation. There are still rules in this new world, but they so depart from the formal laws of our world that they hardly seem to need the distinction of a 'rule.' Stories of this kind, when done well, take the reader outside himself, and that is one of the things that draws me in when reading a 'fantasy.'

Biographies are another type of genre that I absolutely love to read. I don't know why but they've always fascinated me. Autobiographies are really neat also, and I honestly don't know which I prefer...each has its advantages and disadvantages. :-)

Classics...oh yes I do love classics...Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Alexander Dumas, Baroness Orczy, Charlotte Bronte, J.M. Barrie...are a few of the authors on my "favorites" list for classic writing.

Being a good writer for me begins with being an avid reader. The more quality literature one consumes the more an author will be able to learn from the masters and find his or her own voice in writing.

Well, now that I've gone on for a bit, I will take my leave...I think I hear a book calling...

No comments: