Wednesday, May 28, 2008

As Time Goes By...

I was watching a movie today, one of those 'Golden Age of Hollywood' musicals with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly, and it was simply incredible to watch them lighting up the screen. Movies aren't made like that anymore, and although I know some of you are silently (or not so silently) thankful about that, I can't help but feel a bit let down. Sure we have musicals today, and some of them are really wonderful, but...the atmosphere of those movies is something I'm not sure we will ever be able to capture again.

Yes I know the quality of acting isn't all that wonderful at times. Yes I realize that the plot lines are unrealistic, and the dialogue/gags of the films a bit over the top cheesy, but the spirit of pure fascination with life itself that comes through is, to me, astounding.

I think one of the reasons i like these movies so much is because of the time period. World War II was ending, and people were disillusioned. This happened more so after the first World War, and was seen particularly through literature, but during and after the second, movies like the one I talked about at the beginning of the blog came out, and helped to, at least for a couple hours take people's minds off their troubles.
They didn't' erase the pain, but the bright colors, extraordinary dancing and singing, uplifting score and all around cheerful atmosphere made these movies treasures in people's lives and hearts.
I'm not saying that all film should be escapist, it shouldn't. But I think that these films served a wonderful purpose for their time period, and they're great fun to watch even now, least for me. I have a soft spot for them if you couldn't tell, and I dunno...felt like being nastalgic for a bit.

That's all for now...

No comments: